LIHEAP provides one-time bill payment assistance to income eligible households. This is a first come-first served program, so it’s critical that if residents need help, they need to find out if they’re eligible and find the nearest application office.


For Cook County and City of Chicago

Community and Economic Development Association of Cook County, Inc. (CEDA)

200 South LaSalle Street, Suite 1900 (LIHEAP Suite 2010)

Chicago, Illinois 60604-1001

Telephone 800-571-2332 (LIHEAP) or 312-795-8998 (Weatherization)


Contact the agency and tell them you want to apply for the Energy Assistance Program. If you are home-bound, special accommodations can be made to assist you in applying.


When you apply for assistance, bring the following with you:


  • Proof of gross income for all household members for the 30-day period prior to application date

  • A copy of your current heat and electric bills (if you pay for your home energy directly)

  • Proof of Social Security numbers of all household members

  • If a member of your household receives Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), you must bring their “Medical Eligibility Card,” and

  • If you rent, bring proof of your rental agreement, which states your rent amount.


The agency will determine if you are eligible based on the information provided. You will be notified of eligibility status within 30 days. If you are eligible, you will be informed of the amount of assistance you can receive.


The agency will also notify your energy provider of your participation in the program if you have an energy bill.


If you are eligible, the local agency will make the appropriate payment to your energy provider(s) on your behalf or, in some cases, directly to you.


For more information or to find your nearest office:


Chicago (312) 792-4724  - Springfield (217) 785-2533


Senior Freeze on Property Exemption


Eligibility Requirements


  1. You must be 65 years of age or older during the year for which you are applying.

  2. You must either own the property of have a lease or contract which makes you responsible for the real estate taxes; and

  3. The property must be your principal residence.


If you have moved, or plan to move in the future, you may be entitled to a prorated Senior Citizen Exemption, based on the time of occupancy.


To apply for a prorated Senior Citizen Exemption, you must submit:


  • A Senior Citizen Exemption Application Form

  • A closing or settlement statement

  • Copy of a recent property tax bill

  • Copy of proof of age and residency


Application Procedures


If you are eligible for the exemption, please complete and sign the Senior Citizen Exemption Application Form. Information pertaining to Permanent Index Number and township can be found on your real estate tax bill.


You must also provide the following information:


  • Recent Real Estate Tax Bill for Your Home


This includes your residential/property address and index number. If your bill is not mailed to your home, you must supply ONE MORE document proving your home address. These include:


  • Voter’s Registration card.

  • Voting record from the tax years for which you are applying

  • Driver’s License or Illinois identification card showing your address as the property address issued prior to the earliest year for which you are applying.


Proof of Your Age:


Submit ONLY ONE official document that shows your birth date, such as your driver’s license, Illinois Identification card, Alien Registration card, Social Security Form 2458, Naturalization Papers, Passport Birth or Baptismal Certificate. NOTE: Women who submit documents with maiden name must provide Marriage Certificate(s) to show connection with current name.




Owners of cooperative apartments must also submit a stock certificate, occupancy agreement or trust agreement along with their application.


Applying for Senior Citizen Exemption by Mail


If you apply by mail, do not send originals of the above documents. Please send copies, because the documents cannot be returned to you.


Applying for the Senior Citizen Exemption in person


If you apply in person at the Assessor’s Office, your documents will be examined and returned to you while you wait. Approval ProcedureThe Assessor’s Office will notify when your application is approved.